- Must respect the authority of the king at all times - In my absence, the queen will rule - Must respect all members of the herd - Must sleep in the caves at night because of the danger of the nearby land Danger Gully
- Takes no commands
- Rules right under the king - Is allowed to make key decisions about the herd - May not be challenged - Must breed once every three years or less
- May not force any mare. May only breed if she wants them to - May not touch the king's mares - May not make alliances without approval - May choose their herd members as they choose - Must respect all powers above them - May come and go as they please - Must say if they are leaving the lands - May challenge each other for the position of beta or gamma; may not challenge the king
- Must undergo fight training - May stay in the land in a sub herd after three - Must leave at three and begin finding mares - May speak with fillies and play before three years - May challenge anyone but the king - May not force the fillies of the herd - May leave before three if they have a particular training place to go to
- Must undergo defensive training - May leave at three years with permission - May join a sub herd in Aonar - May challenge any queen but the king's - May leave before three under special circumstances
If these rules are not followed, they are punishable by banishment or worse.